A recent article in one of Germany’s leading newspapers Die Zeit on why it is important to not only support but just generally show respect to early career researchers.
Our board member Alexei Evstratov is part of the organizing committee for the event titled
University.Now, Quelle université aujourd’hui ? Forum de la relève suisse
which will be held in Lausanne on the 5th and 6th of December.
We will post updates and further information in the coming days.
A recent article published by Franziska Meister on the Wochenzeitung analyses the current situation on promotion of junior and senior researchers who make up the largest part of mid-level academic staff and mentions actionuni and our position paper.
Please follow this link to the article.
The ordinance focuses on higher education at all three types of universities, defining which types of academic diplomas and certificates can be issued, how many ECTS are associated to each kind of study program and which sort of institutions is allowed to offer third-cycle programs such as doctorates.
Our main feedback point as actionuni is that UAS and PH should, similarly to cantonal universities and federal polytechnics, be also allowed to develop and offer their own third-cycle study programs, provided a rigorous quality control procedure be put in place to ensure quality standards comparable to those of existing third-cycle programs.
Read our full response here (in Italian).
We believe that an increased promotion of women is necessary in order to draw on the full potential of excellent scientists. Additionally, we think that temporarily, quota are necessary in those disciplines, where women are heavily underrepresented, especially at senior research and professorial levels. Moreover, we strive for an equal representation of women and men in decision bodies to overcome structural deficits!
The new law is in effect a legal formalization of policies on cooperation and mobility which are already in place. This topic is clearly central to academic and professional training.
Our main feedback points were the following:
- we recognize the need for the Confederation to be able to manage its programmes more autonomously
- we support the establishment of a national agency with a specific executive mandate concerning the instruments of implementation of the policies presented by the law
- we welcome the opening to non-European educational realities
- we stress the need for the Confederation not to distance itself too much from the cooperation and mobility programmes linked to the European Union.
Read the full letter here (in Italian).
On 13 May 2019 the General Assembly of actionuni der Schweizer Mittelbau elected a new tripartite co-presidency and a new board.
The co-presidents Carmen Faso, Isabel Bolliger and Rashmi Rai-Rawat wish to thank all previous board members and especially former co-presidents Salome Adam and Suzana Atanasoski for the excellent work done over the past year.
The Annual Report 2018/19 was published.
The new law suggests that the Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education is being recognized and accredited as a University of Teacher Education.
Our main feedback points were:
- The new law shall include a paragraph on securing the autonomy of the institution.
- Not only EHB will be active in vocational education, but shall do so in synergy with existing offers at existing Universities of Teacher Education.
- A paragraph on proper participation rights for staff and students of EHB must be introduced.
Read the full Vernehmlassungsantwort (German).